Go Back   BMW i8 Forum: A BMW i8 Forum > BMW i8: General > Factory Specifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Administrator

Default BMW i8 Drivetrain Specifications

Drivetrain

The i8 features a 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine that delivers 231 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque to the rear wheels. Driving the front wheels make use of an electric motor that produces 131 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. Combined, the entire driveline produces 362 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque and runs this power through a six-speed automatic transmission connected to the gasoline engine and a two-stage transmission on the electric motor.

The i8 has a pair of drive modes: "D" and "Sport." In the "D" mode, the transmission shifts automatically and comfort takes precedence over performance. In "Sport" mode, the i8ís engine and transmission are optimized to deliver excellent performance. Additionally, the "Sport" mode maximizes the electric motorís "boost" to the gasoline engine.

Another mode selector on the center console, dubbed the Driving Experience Control switch, the driver can choose between "Comfort" and "ECO PRO" mode. Comfort gives you the perfect balance between sport and economy, and is the base setting upon start up. With "ECO PRO" activated, the i8 becomes even more fuel efficient. "ECO PRO" programs the electronic accessories to minimize consumption.

With a full tank of gas, the i8 can travel up to 310 miles and jumps to up to 372 miles ó a 20-percent jump ó with "ECO PRO" mode activated. On electric only, the i8 can travel about 22 miles on a single charge and up to a maximum speed of about 75 mph. A full charge takes about 3-1/2 hours on a 120-volt household plug, or 1-1/2 hours on a 220-volt Level 2 charger. The i8 turns in an equivalent of 95 mg combined on the EU cycle.

The i8 is not all about efficiency either, as it hits 60 mph in less than 4.5 seconds and sprints to a top speed of 155 mph.

Drivetrain Specifications

Gasoline Engine BMW TwinPower Turbo 1.3-Liter Three-Cylinder
Electric Motor Hybrid Synchronous Motor With Power
Total Output 362 Horsepower
Total Torque 420 Pound-Feet
Acceleration (0-60 Mph) < 4.5 Sec.
Top Speed 155 MPH
Fuel Economy (MPGe) 95
Total Range 310 Miles (372 Miles W/ ECO PRO)
Electric Range 22 Miles

Website: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/201...8-ar99499.html
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #2

seank is offline   Reply With Quote